Archive for the ‘Capitol’ category

State Building – First

March 5, 2008

State Building – First

GII

B497 1851

F9 ALS. Detroit, March 4, 1851

To Gov. John Barry from J. E. Schwarz

Requesting rental of triangular piece of land next to state building. Includes sketch of area bounded by W. Fort, Griswold, Campus Martius, and state building. This locates “Hose and Engine H.”

“National House,” State Building,” “Old Railroad depot, the property of the State leased to John LeDue.”

SA Claims and GII Misc-Claims show that LaDue had some difficulty re old railroad depot land.

To: Edward Stimson, Nat’l Bank of Detroit, Det., 32

Advertisements

Elijah E. Meyers

July 6, 2007

MEYERS, E. E.  – ARCHITECT FOR MICHIGAN STATE CAPITOL

Source:  Lansing Republican, April 19, 1890

Article regarding architect for Central Methodist Church, Lansing, Michigan

Source:  Arts in Virginia (Vol. 2:3, Spring 1967)

Article by Carroll Meeks concerning E. E. Meyers structures in Virginia.

See 1971 correspondence:      Mrs. Martha A. Koellner, Macomb, Illinois.
Mr. William Seale, American State Capitols
Research Project, The Victorian Society,
Alexandria, Virginia.

“…tiles, ceilings, and some cast iron work form the razed Grand Rapids City Hall (a Meyers building) are in the Grand Rapids Public Museum and in private homes in Grand Rapids.

“…O. A. Jenison became interested in the construction of the Michigan State Capitol and kept copies of contracts, plans, some invoices, dedicatory pamphlets, handbills, ribbons, photographs, reports, and the like in five scrapbooks.  The scrapbooks were donated to the Michigan State Library…”

Master’s thesis by Koellner

Capitol War Relic Museum

May 3, 2007

Capitol – War Relic Museum

Resolution – Senate Concurrent Resolution #30 passed March 1, 1957 by the Senate and April 23, 1957 by the House places jurisdiction of the exhibit cases on the ground floor of the Captiol with the Historical Commission.  All other historical materials in the building are still under the jurisdiction of Department of Administration.

State Capitol Building

May 3, 2007

Capitol Building

Source:

1.     Bishop, Levi.  “Recollections of the old Capitol,” in Michigan Historical Collections, Vol. 1, P. 511.  Detroit.

2.     Butler, Alexander R. “A’ Wilderness Rejoicing’:  the New Capitol of Michigan,” in Michigan History, Vol. 38 (1954), pp. 273-284.

3.     “Michigan’s Old State Capitol Succumbs to the flames after thirty-five year of service,” extract, Lansing REPUBLICAN, Dec. 19, 1882, in Michigan Historical Collections, Vol. 6, pp. 290-1.

4.     “A brief bit of history  about the location of the old Capitol,” from the Detroit EVENING NEWS, Dec. 16, 1882 in Michigan Historical Collections, Vol. 6, pp. 292.

5.     MICHIGAN:  GUIDE TO THE WOLVERINE STATE.  Oxford:  New York, 1946,  pp.  333-6.

6.     “The Capital and Capitol Buildings,” in LEGISLATIVE MANUAL, 1879, pp. 367-384.

7.     Sanford, George.  “Reminiscential,” in Michigan Historical Collections, Vol. 6, pp. 292-3, extract from Lansing JOURNAL, Feb. 22, 1883.

8.     “The New State Capitol,” reported at the annual meeting of the Historical Society, in Michigan Historical Collections, Vol. 31, pp. 227-232.  1901.

9.     Hathaway, Ellen.  YOUR CAPITOL AND MINE.  Michigan Historical Commission, 1953. 95p. Third Grade level.

10.     Larner, Mortimer F. comp., publication, photographer.  THE HISTORY OF MICHIGAN’S CAPITOL.,  ads. 13p.

11.     J. W. Knapp Company.  LANSING, MICHIGAN:  PAST AND PRESENT, illus., 16p.  Includes some of the same pictures that are in the Edmonds Collections.

12.     Upton, William W. “Locating the Capitol of the State of Michigan,” in Michigan History, Vol. 23, pp. 275-290.

13.     Jenison Collection in Michigan State Library vault.  Contains many mementos of the dedication, etc.

14.     Detroit POST AND TRIBUNE, Jan. 1, 1879, P.2, Col. 1, 2, 3.  January 2, 1879, P. 1., Cols-1–7.  Reminiscenses.  Plans and appointments of the nw building.

15.     The Scientific American, May 20, 1876, p. 322.  Line drawings of the Michigan State building at the Philadelphia Centennial of 1876.

Selected Bibliography of Materials Relating to the Present State Capitol

PRIMARY MATERIALS

EXECUTIVE OFFICE RECORDS, ACCESSION 44
Building Commissioners, Board of, 1871-77                    Box – 178
Capitol, State Board of Building Commissioners            Box – 242
State Building Commission, 1871        Box –   61

DEPARTMENT OF STATE, ACCESSION 56-26
Proposals for Construction of Capitol and State Institutions        Box – 191
Accounting Journals, Supt. Of Construction. (James Appleyard)        Acc 21, Box 1

SECONDARY MATERIALS

BOURS, ALLEN L.
Documents Relating to the Erection of the New Capitol of
Michigan, 1871-1879.    Lansing, 1879
Inaugural Proceedings at the Dedication of the New Capitol
of Michigan.    Lansing, 1879

CROSBY, JACK
The State Capitol of Michigan.    Lansing, 1968

DUFFIELD, GEORGE
The New Capitol:  or the Wilderness Rejoicing.    Lansing, 1878

LARNER, MORTIMER
The History of Michigan’s Capitol.    Lansing, 1928

MICHIGAN.  BOARD OF STATE BUILDING COMMISSIONERS.
Acts of the Legislature, Session of 1877, Providing for the
Completion & Furnishing of the Building.    Lansing, 1877
Annual Report, 1871-78.    Lansing, 1878
Final Report…,1877-79.    Lansing, 1879
General Instructions for the Guidance of Architects.    Lansing, 1871
Laying the Cornerstone of the New State Capitol.    Lansing, 1873
Proceedings at the Laying of the Cornerstone of the New Capitol    Lansing, 1873

MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF STATE.
Legislative Manual, 1879-80.    Lansing, 1879, p. 367-84

Michigan History Magazine
Volume 37, (1953), p. 299-303.
Volume 38, (1954), p. 273-284.
Volume 52, (1968), p. 82

Michigan State Capitol.    Lansing, 1972

MICHIGAN.  PIONEER AND HISTORICAL SOCIEY
Michigan Historical Collections.
Volume 31, (1901), p. 227-232.
Volume 32, (1902), p. 441-443.

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN.  May 20, 1876.  New York, 1876. p. 322.

THESES

Koellner, Martha Ann.  Elijah E. Myers, Architect.  M.A.,
Western Illinois University, 1972.

NOTES

Many of the above materials, and most newspaper articles about the capitol, can be found in the Jenison Collection, State Library.  Approximate bulk, 3 cubic feet.

February 2, 1978.

Austin Blair Statue – Capitol Grounds

May 3, 2007

BLAIR STATUE IN FRONT OF CAPTIOL

REPORT of the Blair Statue Commission, Lansing, Michigan, October 12, 1898.

Authorized by joint resolution of Legislature, May 8, 1895.  Approp. $10,000.00 Edward Clark Potter of Enfield, Mass., sculptor for sum of $7200.  Messrs. Bureau Brothers, foundrymen of Philadelphia.  Pedestal by Messrs. Donaldson and Meier, Architects of Detroit, $2293.94.  I Unveiled 12, October 1898.

Members of Commission:  R. A. Alger, W. H. Withington, John Patton.  Patton took place of Hon. Dwight S. Smith who died in 1897.

Annual reports of the State Board of Auditors offer details of planning and the dedication ceremonies, 1897, 1898.

Correspondence re Blair Monument dedication, October 12, 1898.

GII
B135, F5
B232, F1
B67, F7
B30, F14